Revised West Midlands Rail Investment Strategy published
Posted on 12th September 2023 at 16:45
First published in 2018, the strategy was an initiative on how to maximise the benefits of HS2, support Net Zero targets and strengthen existing infrastructure projects. The revised West Midlands Rail Investment Strategy sets out a clear long-term plan for the regeneration of the region's rail network.
The plans include:
• Development of the Midlands Rail Hub to create additional capacity for more services across the region – including on the Sutton Park Line.
• How, as London to Birmingham passengers move to HS2, spare line capacity can be used on the West Coast Mainline to improve local and regional services between Birmingham and Rugby.
• Providing a train service between Burton and Lichfield, calling at Alrewas.
• Removing diesel trains from the network and supporting further line electrification.
• Longer term plans for new rails including between Walsall and Lichfield and through Central Birmingham.
New stations will increase the rail capacity of the region as well as bring new jobs and leisure opportunities to the area. The report states that its aim is to: 'Meeting the evolving needs of communities, passengers and businesses, including
rail freight customers, is at the heart of our ambitions for rail connectivity, services and customer experience. The level of projected demand for rail services for both passengers and freight is directly linked to the strength of the region’s economy and to the confidence and prosperity of its people and businesses'
You can access the full report here.
The revised West Midlands Rail Investment Strategy includes the delivery of the Midlands Rail Hub and several new stations across the West Midlands (WMRIS)
Share this post: